Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Looking Back/Ready to Go!

On December 11th I was leaving Mikelle, Ethiopia on a plane to Addis Ababa.  I had been away from Staci, the kids and my job for over a week.  I was as centered, joyful and humbled as I have ever been in my life.  It’s hard to imagine feeling that way half a world away from the people I love so much.  I kept a journal the entire time I was in Ethiopia – I wanted to remember every moment. 

Going back and reading the journal from time to time reminds me of one of the best weeks of my life.  One particular  entry that I read over and over was on December 8th.  It was the day I met Sofani at Girmay and Atsad’s house in Mikelle.  I talked about my instant connection with Sofani.  I wrote about my feelings for him and how much he reminded me of our kids at home.  I remember distinctly the conversation with Deborah (Girmay and Atsad’s daughter that spoke excellent English) the day after I met Sofani.  Deborah told Mark, Todd and I his story.  How his parents both died when he was a little boy – his dad when he was 5 and his mom when he was 6.  How his grandmother took him in only to lose her two years ago.  I remember the sadness that we all felt.  None of us knew what to say.  I remember Todd breaking the silence with his prophetic words, “Sofani Buck.”  At that point I began to feel the burden on my heart for this little boy with the big smile.  I knew it.
I remember saying goodbye to Sofani on December 11th.  I remember hugging him and fighting back tears.  I was unsure what this meant.  How could I feel so attached to a boy that I knew for 4 days?  The last entry in my journal on the plane leaving Mikelle said that I planned to return to Ethiopia.  I didn’t know exactly why or when at the time but things began to unfold from that point forward.

I remember calling Staci from the airport in DC when we arrived in the US on December 12th.  The first thing I said to her was “I met this boy in Mikelle.”  At that point she knew.  She knew this was out of character for me and she was dizzy with excitement.
On December 19th I was sitting in a hotel room in Louisville.  I was back at work one week and knew what I had to do.  I called Staci and told her I was going to fire off an email to Girmay and ask him to approach Sofani about becoming a part of our family.  The next day I woke up to Girmay’s response letting us know that he was on board with helping us and agreed that this was a “divine connection.”  He spoke with Sofani and said that he was as excited as we were.  At that point the adoption process began.  Staci and I worked feverishly to make connections with a local and international agency to help us navigate through the process.

On May 22nd I introduced Sofani to his new mother – my incredible wife that has been on board since the first conversation we had about adopting Sofani over the phone. 
On Friday, May 25th Staci and I left Sofani at the airport after spending three days with him.  This time leaving him was even harder.  He was officially ours but had to leave him in Addis while the paperwork process continued.  Sofani, who had been smiling for the last 3 days cried and Staci and I were a mess.   We sobbed the entire way through check-in and onto the plane. 

Next week Sofani will meet his new brother and sister on his turf in Addis Ababa.  This is going to be an amazing introduction – one I will never forget.  And on Saturday July 22nd we’ll be making another trip to the airport to return to the US.  This time Sofani Jason Buck will be on the plane with us.  We’ll leave Ethiopia as a family. 
I know my entries from this point on will be all about our new family but I felt like I needed to take time to acknowledge several people that have been an incredible help to us through the adoption process.  We have had very few delays and we owe so many thanks to so many people.  Thank you to Jennifer Morrissey with Adoptions of Indiana; Sally Mouw and Alemu with Adoptions Associates; Girmay and Atsad; Sofani’s Aunt Mihret for making two trips to Addis on Sofani’s behalf; Dan Benson for helping Mark, Todd and I get to Ethiopia; our church, family and friends for their encouragement.  And most importantly God.  God’s hand has been in this process the entire time.  I remember praying to God last August asking Him to do something with my life that got me out of my comfort zone.  I told God I promised to say “yes.”  My life has been filled with joy ever since.  Little did I know the impact that prayer would have on my life and my family.  Wow.  It’s unbelievable. 

A picture of Sofani's birth parents

God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped His people and continue to help them. Hebrews 6:10


No comments:

Post a Comment